Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Metric in an Imperial State

Last night Meredith and I saw Metric at the House of Blues in San Diego with our friend Hanna. It was nice being able to see a popular Canadian band down here in SoCal. The tickets were only $12 and they were very easy to get. While Metric's music doesn't particularly move me, I do enjoy a great rock and roll show and that's what they give you. Emily Haines is the band. Without her they would be a very regular rock band. She is an outstanding frontwoman in every way and those legs of hers...WOW! Jimmy Shaw is annoying! His guitar work is alright but he exudes this aura of douchebaggery that I find really difficult to ignore. Emily makes that quite a bit easier though so it's all good. Combine that with the solid yet energetic bass playing of Josh Winstead and the competent drum work of Joules Scott-Key, throw in a deliciously choreographed light show and you've got yourself a fun evening of rock and roll.

This was my second time seeing Metric in concert. The first being at the Hillside Festival in Guelph, Ontario. Both shows were excellent. If you haven't seen them live, please do. You will not be disappointed. Like I said earlier, their music doesn't really speak to me so I will probably never buy one of their CD's. I will, however, make a point of seeing them live again because when a great (and affordable) rock and roll show comes through town you have to go.

11 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you might look at doing reviews for bands. This was pretty good. I haven't been to a good concert in ages, but I've been around several indie bands who tried to make it in the big time. Unfortunately, they never did. Is it me?

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

Hey Andrew, what are you doing looking at Emily Haines' legs anyway?
- Meredith (the shocked wife)

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

Hey, I'm disapointed you didn't use the term 'bong rattling bass'. If you ever review one of my shows I will expect you to use that term. 'cause if you don't . . .

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger undefined undefined said...

wow you are so quick. you're like lightning mate. well I could give it a listen, why not.
uh, im a gemini too?!!
http://tottenhamcourtroad.blogspot.com

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

I have both of Metric's albums. I really like them a lot...but still haven't seen them in concert. Now I definitely have to!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Well, I'm going to see Ray Davies on Thursday. All I know about his legs is that he was shot in one a few years back. But I'll be lucky if I can even see his thinning hair from my seat way up in the nosebleeds (insofar as Massey Hall can be said to have nosebleeds).

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

I didn't check out your links until I could get on high speed, so I just checked them. I saw the 'easy to get' link while I was in a public hallway at school and everyone looked at my when I broke out in 'spontaneous' laughter

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

Chuck and I both posted - your turn Beyotch

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What? Nothing new? Here I thought I was gonna have a lot to catch up on.

You're slacking, Digs. 'Course, I'm one to talk...

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger soulcamp said...

I have no idea how he has the time to play the guitar when it's obvious he spends hours searching for clever links to attach to every other word in his blog...

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

You would be amazed at the ammount ot time Diggatron can spend starring into the CRT of a computer monitor, I've seen it firsthand. Also the amount of time he can spend theorizing about ways to be able to trancend the limitations of said monitor in ways such as "punching someone through the computer screen", which he has threatened to do to me on a number of occasions. Mostly because of nonsensical rants such as this or bad puns (although I know Meredith supports such puns)

I ask you: What is more important. Some band that could skyrocket your career and satisfy your years of longing to make a life out of music - or your legions of loyal blog fans who will destroy you if you don't post soon?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home